Our Family Spaghetti Bolognaise
As part of the attempt at organising the meals in our house, I asked the boys to choose one meal each that we could have for diner. After the obvious answers of ‘Chocolate!’ and ‘ Ice cream!’, I specified the rules. It had to be a meal that had meat and was a healthy choice. There was a sigh followed by a brief silence (very rare in my house). Then, the boys decided on their choices. Coop wanted sausages with potato medley and broccoli only. Luc chose something a little more interesting and always a fav – Spaghetti bolognaise. So, with that I set to work to make a recipe that everyone would love. Luc loves it so much that he takes it to school for lunches the next day or both boys have it for brekky.
1kg mince (beef or a mix of beer and kangaroo – they won’t tell)
1 x 400g tin crushed tomato
1 heaped TBS tomato paste
3 TBS coconut amino sauce
1 TBS dried Oregano
2 tsp dried thyme
2 carrots grated
1 zucchini grated
- In a large fry pan brown the mince with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomato.
- Stir and let it simmer on a low heat for a few minutes
- Mix in herbs
- Add Coconut aminos to taste. For my family this is the right amount
- Whilst that is simmering gently, grate the carrot and zucchini and mix through.
- Allow this to simmer again until the sauce is at a nice consistency
- REMEMBER to always test your creation and add more herbs and spice to your liking.
- Serve with Zoodles or carrot noodles (see how I make mine here)
Variations – If I want to increase the vegetable content I add in cooked pumpkin and/or sweet potato. If I want there to be more sauce and thicker, I add an extra amount of crushed tomato and thicken with arrowroot starch.